Saturday, March 21, 2015

Prodigal Ducks

Luke 15:20 - "... But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him."

Just a few days ago, the residence halls became aware of  a couple of visitors wandering around like they owned the place.


I couldn't help but chuckle as I watched a few of the residents try to catch them. I was aware of the near futility of such a task, having owned domesticated ducks before, which were hard enough to catch on their own. Catching wild ducks is a much more dangerous game.

Anyway, as I watched the antics, I thought about from where the ducks might have come. There is a duck pond on the South side of campus, and I figured these ducks made some sort of migration from there. Why would you do that, ducks? I thought. You were safe and sound where you were. You had food and shelter and comfort. Now you're here, being chased around by two-legs, for what?

Of course, that's how I am sometimes. Whenever my life is going good and great, and there's nothing else I really need or even want, my ability to recognize what I have is greatly diminished. Sometimes, I end up straying away from the safety the Gospel offers me and end up being chased around by two-legs.

I know that when we stay true to the Gospel, when we do our best to follow the example of Jesus Christ, we will be happy. The burdens in our lives will be made that much lighter. I know that. And I invite you to find out, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment