Monday, March 23, 2015

Health in Spirit and Might: 3v3 B-Ball Tourney


At the end of last semester, if I had wanted to do anything remotely physically demanding, I would have had to take frequent breaks to blow my lungs out trying to gasp in as much air as possible. Thankfully, now that I've been teaching myself Capoeira and doing a better job keeping to the Lord's code of health, I was able to have some serious fun this past weekend, even including a 'lay-zor taeg' throwdown.

I hosted a 3v3 B-Ball tournament right outside my dorm complex. The rules were simple: Ones and twos, first to 11 with a two point lead, or fifteen minutes.

Going around to see which teams had signed up, I was disappointed to discover very few had. As I compared who'd signed up for what, however, I started to chuckle when I realized two of the three teams had both put down their team name as 'Buckets.'

When the third team showed up, they discovered the two Buckets teams had begun a righteous feud over which team was superior and therefore deserved the right to the name. After some careful consideration, this third team, which was as of yet unnamed, decided to name themselves Los Buckets.

Enough individuals sans a team showed up that we were able to form two more teams. I organized the first and dubbed it, "May Hall's Cool Team for Attractive People." The last was a group of three RAs, including myself. Since the bracket made more sense with four teams, we the RA team decided to declare ourselves the reigning champions from last year. Thus, we became known as 'Reigning Buckets.' Whoever won the whole thing had the opportunity to face us to contend for the title.

And thus, we began the double elimination.


'Attractive People' were the first to fall, followed by the second team of Buckets. Los Buckets and the remaining Buckets had each played two or three games. Los Buckets had defeated Buckets the first time, but in a controversial move, Buckets called in a fresh substitute after their third had to leave, leading them to outright victory in the final.

Then, it was the RAs' turn.

We three were feeling relatively cocky. We'd barely played all day, which meant we were fresh. Sure, we hadn't worked out team unity or had as much practice or warmed up, but we were a lot less tired than our opponents. We had it.

We lost!

Thus, Buckets defeated Los Buckets, Attractive People, Reigning Buckets, and Buckets in a grueling 3v3 tourney. It was epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment