Wednesday, March 18, 2015

I Met a Man as Different (Poem)

Psalms 82:6 - "... all of you are children of the most High."


I met a man as different from me
as a different man can be,
and as we walked down the same path,
we found the other hard to please.

While he was wide, I was not.
He'd shun new things, I'd give a shot.
When he would talk, I'd save my thoughts.
He'd avoid traps, and I'd be caught.

Where he was short, I was tall.
He liked to watch, I liked to call.
When he would run, I'd rather crawl.
He'd turn back, I would climb the wall.

He'd study books, I'd study my looks.
He could not cast, our lunch I'd hook.
He'd quickly dine on what I cooked.
He'd brave danger when I was shook.

He wanted left, I wanted right.
He slept at night, I slept in light.
He'd stop for breaks, I'd stop for sights.
He sued for peace, I wanted a fight.

I presently addressed this man.
"Why can't you do as I do? Can
it be that hard to be as I?
Stop being different. Can't you try?"

The man pondered, and then he said,
"What thoughts upon this track have led?
You've missed the point of how to start
and why we're here and where we are.

 "If we were same, then we'd both be
lying lost back some leagues, or three.
The strengths you have are not my own
they complement mine, so we're not alone.

"Where you are strong, I am weak.
Where you are brash, then I am meek.
Where you are weak, I am strong,
and, together, we've gone this far along.

"We may grind each others' gears
but we've helped to conquer all our fears.
And now we've triumphed over all
I call you friend, through rise or fall."

That man, my friend, taught me that day
that difference is a form of strength,
yet still, as I pass people by,
I struggle to see through their eyes.

It's easy to assume the worst,
guess where they'd come from very first.
Assume their choices led them where
they stand when to their face I stare.

So many things beyond my sphere,
and when I guess, I am not near,
for the path of life is full of holes.
When in one we fall, emerge less than whole.

But if we, as humans, are broken
just in different ways,
bearing our own tokens
through the heat and grime of days.

Then difference is a blessing
nary consequence or curse
and whether choice or circumstance 
has led us from our birth

forego the rapid judgments so
prevalent in man.
Tear aside curtain of row
and declare that you can.

Can? Can what? Well, that's up to you.
Release all care, be born anew
View your fellows through the eyes of God
and watch the world unfold so broad.

I have a friend as different from me
as a different friend can be,
and as we continue down the path,
in our company, we are pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment