Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Raw Power: Flippin' Freezin' (with Added Commentary)

Job 38:22 - "Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail?"

Holy moly, Jamaica weather destroyed my ability to withstand cold. I have my heater cranked on in my room all day every day, I generally walk around campus hunched over with teeth chattering, and people keep stopping me to ask if I'm feeling all right.

Yes. Yes I am. Can you just figure out how to turn the sun back on, please?


Despite everything, I really am excited for the snows. The mountains during this time of year are beautiful, the mood becomes almost serene, and even cuddling will become more prevalent. The beginning of the winter season, right when everything is bright and fresh, before I get tired of black snow lining the roads and dark clouds killing our flowers, is when, I think, I literally ... well, chill out. I've found this season to be quite soothing, as many of the concerns I once felt so important seem to fade.

I suspect that change of mood also has to do with the subconscious reminders of divinity new weather offers. We marvel and wonder at construction projects that transform the landscape in a matter of months, but even something as simple as a snowfall does so much more than anything we, as mortals, can do. With such raw examples of God's power, it's easy to stop and ponder Him, all He does for us individually, and even all He doesn't do.

Christ suffered all things for me, the bad, the worst. He has the power to freeze my bones and the atmosphere, among everything else, and yet, still, even though He experiences everything I don't want to, He refrains from using His power to keep me from trial. So, if I trust Him, I can be assured that everything will be for my good.

What do you think of when you see a snowfall or otherwise large weather change? Tell me about it!

I wrote a commentary about this post on October 22, 2015. Click here to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment