Thursday, November 6, 2014

Spontaneous Charity (with Added Commentary)

Proverbs 25:21 - "If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink."

So I was walking into the food court at my University when I saw this sign posted on the outside door:


I laughed a little bit. Yeah, right, I thought. Sure, I don't have ten inches of hair, and therefore was beyond the targeted marketing demographic, but I hadn't heard a single peep about the event from any source whatsoever. I had seen no posters, heard no rumors, nor listened to someone agonizing over the decision. There is no way on earth anyone is just going to spontaneously volunteer for something like that, I thought, continuing walking into the building. Most girls I've met have had to really ponder about such a decision before going in on it.

So, into the food court I walked, almost immediately forgetting I'd seen the poster at all.

Then, I saw it.

I blinked.

I stared.

I climbed the stairs for a better view.


There, down below, were the aforementioned hair stylists, working on quite a large number of haircuts even as a line formed by the tables.

I was stunned.

I was impressed.

I can't say I know much about hair donations, as I've never donated, I doubt I'll ever be able to donate, and I don't think I'll ever really benefit from receiving a donation myself. However, I understand that hair donations mean a lot to people. I understand that giving hair is a sacrifice. And I saw a group of wonderful people just, out of the blue, giving of themselves for people they don't even know during a fit of spontaneous charity. That is power. That is Christlike giving. And though those donors will likely receive little recognition, recognition they probably never expected, anyway, I wanted to recognize them here. Good work, you guys!

How are you going to be spontaneously charitable today?

I wrote a commentary about this post on October 1, 2015. Click here to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment