Thursday, November 13, 2014

Open Your Mouth: The Dentist (with Added Commentary)

Doctrine and Covenants 30:5 - "... for the time has come that it is expedient in me that you shall open your mouth to declare my gospel ..."

True, I'm in Utah. Practically everyone here is Mormon. However, as I drove to the dentist's office yesterday, I saw a bunch of people who, though possibly Mormons no longer practicing, certainly didn't look like they were a member of my church. Some were smoking, some were drinking, some were hanging outside what looked liked clubs; one dude was walking down the street completely shirtless, with his nipple rings exposed to the world.

Let's be honest here, it was still super cold yesterday, possibly worse than the night I complained about yesterday. Shirtless guy is a super manly dude. Mad respect for him.

Anyway, so I was at the dentist's, and I was asked some questions about my dental history and all that jazz. I hesitated to go into specifics about my time in Jamaica and the fact that I'd served a mission there, simply because I figured it was a similar story these dentists had heard a hundred times from numerous patients. It's not like they're going to benefit from my testimony, I thought.

But then, I went ahead anyway. Why not?

Again, I have no idea if none or all of these dentists were Mormon. But I didn't hesitate to openly talk about my mission and talk about a few of my experiences there. It later turned out the head dentist actually did a humanitarian trip in the Ocho Rios area, and my hygienist was in Haiti getting hit by Hurricane Sandy at the same time I was getting hit in Montego Bay.

If you consider the fact that the dentist's last name is White, you'll realize this post is FULL of puns ...

I think the main point is, in an unfamiliar environment, to people who are probably already familiar with my type of mission experience, I spoke up to share the Gospel message, to open a dialogue about my service for Jesus Christ. Yes, I was hesitant, but I gained a personal witness that, no matter who you open your mouth to, you will feel the Spirit work through you. I know that is true. So get out there and share today! You never know who might be struggling enough to need it.

I wrote a commentary about this post on October 29, 2015. Click here to read it!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it, cigna dentist lakeway tx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. steiner ranch austin dentist

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Fitness Power Club

    ReplyDelete
  5. Invisalign warranty I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I needed to thank you for this incredible read!! I unquestionably adored each and every piece of it. I have you bookmarked your site to look at the new stuff you post. Dentist Hialeah fl

    ReplyDelete