Friday, November 14, 2014

Ten Virgins: First Snow (with Added Commentary)

Matthew 25:1-13 - "Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins ..."

See, here on campus, whenever the temperature gets colder, some wise chap up in central heating gets the bright idea that the temperature within the buildings should rise inversely. Therefore, after you've bundled up like a Christmas present, escaped into the cold, and arrive in class, you find yourself sweating much like an overweight boar. The classrooms here, in essence, become gigantic coat closets as everyone strips down and deposits their articles of clothing anywhere they can find, which, unfortunately, means the floor. You know, walkin' space.

In order to combat this, I wear nothing but light hoodies for as long as I possibly can and merely run to class. My heart rate keeps me warm, and then I don't have to strip upon my arrival in class. Perfect! Of course, by the time the snow hits, you want nothing but to wear heavier clothing, and so you do despite the madcap stripping that follows.

So I left the house yesterday wearing nothing but a light hoodie, running through campus like a fire was lit under my butt. As I sat outside my New Testament class, waiting for it to begin, I glanced outside the window and realized something horrible.

It was snowing.


And that's where the title/selected scripture comes in. My experience, which concluded with me sprinting back home for my heavier coat, reminded me of the unpreparedness of the ten virgins in Christ's parable, which, in turn, reminded me of the preparation we need to undergo for the advent of Christ's second coming. But go on, then! Click the link! Read the parable! It's snowtastically awesome.

I wrote a commentary about this post on November 5, 2015. Click here to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment