Saturday, November 22, 2014

Gratitude: Your Voice is Power

Job 37:4 - "After it a voice roareth: he thundereth with the voice of his excellency; and he will not stay them when his voice is heard."

I rode a bicycle shark yesterday.

You know, people find a lot to criticize about modern technology. I certainly did when I first arrived home from Jamaica. I absolutely hated being connected to the rest of the world 24/7, and actively sought ways to keep myself off the grid as much as I could.

Well, to be fair, I still don't really enjoy being very connected, though I'm not as determined to distance myself from the teeming html scripts of the ebays and internets. Regardless, even though it is easy to condemn modern technology for being debilitating and detrimental to personal relationships and the like, I find it important, on occasion, to remind myself that this marvelous tool is a grand gift from God.

I mean, if I think about it, I may struggle to connect with many of my friends and acquaintances via social media, but at least I can connect by dropping them a line here or there and scrolling through their posts. If I ever lived in even the 1980s, the best replication of what I can do now would be to make a phone call or write a letter. Of course, I'm sure I would have been just as busy then as I am now.

This sharing, this constant sharing of texts and tweets and emails and posts and comments, has granted each of us greater power to touch a heart, change a life, raise a soul. Sure, many people use comments to criticize and malign their fellow commentators, but even they have a greater potential.

And, of course, who can forget how amazing it is that most of us have phones we can use to take pictures wherever and whenever we want, capturing memories that will serve us a lifetime?


So, I rode a bicycle shark yesterday. This picture will forever be a memory of a silly thing I once did at an outdoor shopping mall. It will also remind me of the experience I shared with my good friend there in that same mall, where we ate pizza, talked about life, and laughed frequently. And, in the end, it will also remind me of the reminder I had about how God has given us the potential to do so much more good than ever before.

Get your voice out for good today. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment