Monday, July 21, 2014

Mi Jot Too Much (with Added Commentary)

2 Nephi 4:15 - "And upon these I write the things of my soul ..."

I guess it's not surprising for the writer of a blog to blog a lot about writing, especially when the writer writes about what the writer writes, as is his rightly right.
The most valuable piece I wrote yesterday was the talk I delivered to a congregation of strangers. Shortly following my official homecoming talk, the stake high council had commissioned me to visit a certain neighboring ward and report on a subject I'd learned during my mission.
Outlining that talk was one of the most spiritually rewarding experiences I've had since I returned home. Studying repentance in the way I felt prompted to gave me great peace of mind, and even though the oration wasn't as spectacular as those I've delivered in the past, I was definitely supposed to be there.
Another miracle occurred when my youngest sister decided, out of the blue, to come along. Even though she only came to support me, she ended up making a new friend right there during sacrament meeting, a friend whom she needed in an awful way. My presence at that ward wasn't just for me; it was for her, too. And had mom not come along, I might have completely misinterpreted youngest sister's actions during my talk, thank goodness. A scriptwriter couldn't have choreographed everything better.


Of course, I was particularly struck yesterday by my own mission journal. There wasn't anything I reread that hit me in particular, but keeping that track was one of the best things I ever did. If it weren't for this work, my life in the field would be nothing more than a scattered stream of memories. This brings those memories together and reminds me of what was most important when I was serving God full-time. I never want to forget that.

Hey there! I wrote a commentary about this post on January 8, 2015. Click here to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment