Sunday, July 6, 2014

Like a Fire is Burning

2 Nephi 9:51 - "Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy."

Even though I thought I had it nipped in the bud, I still have a tendency to shy away from people when I have things I want to do for myself. For me, that could include writing, reading, playing an instrument, or anything else that doesn't necessarily involve human interaction. Of course, those things, while more lasting than watching TV or playing a video game, are not as valuable or as lasting as the relationships we will forge in the next life.


As it was, I was a little hesitant to accept dad's midday offer to take bro and I out for a Fourth of July weekend campfire in the evening. Recognizing I won't have opportunities like this forever, however, I soon changed my mentality and led the charge out of the house. We had a hilarious time, searching for firewood (at the nearest convenience store), lighting the fire (with our fireplace lighter and pages torn from an atlas), roughing it out (while eating candy corn and drinking Gatorade), singing sweet ukulele songs, and telling ol' fashioned ghost stories. It was a good bonding experience for the three of us, and I'm glad I didn't duck out. I don't think I should ever duck out for things like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment