Sunday, July 20, 2014

Step by step

Doctrine and Covenants 121:45 - "... and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of the Lord ..."

I've felt the pain of failing my Lord and Master, of knowing I personally caused him more suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane. Every time I consider that, it makes it easier to rise from my own mistakes and keep trying, strangely enough. I've met so many people who, overwhelmed by their one or two vices, give up completely and just end up hurting the Savior more. All I want for myself is to fix what I've broken and alleviate as much of the pain as I can, both for myself and my elder brother.


I had the opportunity to go to the temple again yesterday, making that three trips in one week. I stuck to doing initiatories rather than an endowment session yesterday, which gave me a greater appreciation all over again for the significance and importance of the endowment session and of making covenants with God. Baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, the sacrament, blessings by the laying on of hands ... the covenants we make and the blessings we're promised are so essential to our eternal progression. When we strive for that full and complete level of understanding, it is far easier to stand strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment