Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Ye Whom I Love

"The family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." - The Family: A Proclamation to the World

Every time I think I've learned to let offenses slide, God throws some new offense in my way.
"Will you let this slide this time?" he seems to ask.
I'll admit, I am not doing so hot in this particular test. While I have dramatically improved in the art of forgiving others for offenses to myself, I haven't really had much recent opportunity to forgive others for offenses to people I love. That's what's really eating at me. You can insult me, disrespect me, hurt me, malign me, steal from me, lie to me, cheat me, abuse me, whatever. It may take some time, but I will forgive.
But if you do any of those things to someone I care about ... I'm struggling.


As the last part of the day, we had our weekly family home evening. We sang some hymns, ate some slightly burnt cookies, watched some Mormon messages, and played a remarkably ridiculous game called Fluxx. It's hard for me to describe what it's like, being back with my family again after two years. Even these simple things, like family night, bring me a lot of joy. It was hard for me to really appreciate these little things that I had before my 'rebirth' of sorts; now, I cherish every moment. In a couple of months, when I duck out again, I'll miss them even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment