Friday, July 25, 2014

Hands and Hobbits

Psalms 82:6 - "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."

The curse of the creator is hard to crack. When they embark upon the creation of something that wasn't there before, they begin to develop a strange attachment to it. They desire to ensure it fulfills the measure of its creation, and their passion and drive to perfect it in every way easily consumes them. They sit at the dinner table with their family, but their thoughts are drawn back to what it was upon which they were working. Whether it is a musical composition, a grand piece of art, a broken mechanical beast, or a drafted business proposition, the creator recalls every note, every stroke, every gear, every letter, running through them over and over in their minds until they recall the one little flaw in their mental image. Abandoning family, friends, and commitments, the creator flies back to his work to fix and add and shape and mold. However, despite the talent He gave the creator, God wants them to remember that which is the most important: family, friends, and the eternal significance of things. Even a God-given gift can be misused. As for me, I have heard many stories of homes being destroyed because of an overly-consumed creator, and I recognize that capability within myself. I need to be careful.


As part of my work experience yesterday, I went in with a group of highly trained communications careerists to study and learn about how to deal with crisis communications and their sister subjects. Even though I was obviously years behind these professionals in understanding, training, execution, comfort, and application, I was pleased to discover that I wasn't completely unable to participate or offer anything new to the table. Almost like a hobbit among men, I was able to hold my own, accomplishing less, but not weighing as an utter burden. I thank Him for that.

1 comment: