Sunday, July 27, 2014

Why Preach My Marriage Doesn't Work

Preach My Gospel - "Use Preach My Gospel to meet your needs as a missionary ..."

I'll admit, I really thought that some of the things I learned on my mission would translate into the dating game. They just don't, much to my actual amusement. Some examples are more obvious. Preach My Gospel: A Guide to Missionary Service recommends that missionaries ask for referrals after every contact. Asking my blind date if they know any other single ladies is a really bad idea, and I don't need to test it to find out.
Some failed translations are less obvious. You'd think, given how much I practiced talking to people, that I would be a total Casanova and feel comfortable walking up to any lady, starting a conversation, and weaving the wordplay into an invitation. It just doesn't translate, unfortunately.
Of course, I was trying to explain this to the missionaries yesterday, who brought me along to a Single's Ward party to which they'd also invited an investigator. Completely aware I haven't gone on a single date since my return home, the two missionaries kept trying to get me to go ask this or that girl out. I had a hard time articulating how talking to random strangers about Christ is so much easier than talking to girls about my various qualities. All in all, it was a pretty hilarious night.


Dad has been reading my novel as I've been writing it, and I was grateful to watch him laugh and ponder as he consumed my world. I wouldn't have such a talent without Father's mercy, and I'm grateful to Him for that.

...Oh, and Mom is posing with a cantaloupe on which she drew a face. We're crazy over here.

2 comments:

  1. It's so true! I think part of it is that you need a real companion=wing man...not two missionaries who also haven't been in the dating arena for months. Don't worry. I have a couple girls down here that I really want you to meet. ;)

    ReplyDelete