Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Drivin' Home

2 Corinthians 12:2 - "...such an one caught up to the third heaven."

Most of my day was spent at Ye Ol' Workplace, ever trying to improve my writing skills and publish articles with less edits than the last draft.
Dad and I carpooled back to the house together, and we talked a lot about the 'state of affairs' amongst we four siblings, including what is motivating each of us and where we plan to reach by the end of our imaginations. The various paths we're personally following generally have finite ends in mind; we're putting so much focus on our goals, we haven't thought too much about what will happen when we reach that point we're gearing toward.


I was reminded of a certain perspective mom and dad consistently taught all four of us. The perspective is, simply, eternal, and we're living it according to our individual desires.
I know I consistently fail to keep an eternal perspective on things. I make split-second decisions that lead to heartache. I find it more natural to be carnal rather than saintly. I find that I struggle to keep my mind focused on the Savior. I fall into pits that force me to waste time climbing back up.
Of course, if I were to master keeping an eternal perspective at all times, then I wouldn't fall as deep. I wouldn't waste as much time. If I were to keep my end destination--rest in the third heaven--in mind, ever considering how my faith and my service create stairs up through eternity, then I wouldn't lose any of that progress I've made. I wouldn't allow the simple and petty things of the world to consume me. When I reach that point, when I consistently consider my long-term goals before making any short-term decisions, I will be on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment