Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Date You Should Kiss On & Why I Hate It


On Tuesday, I asked people on which date they thought the guy should kiss the girl. I said I personally don't want to kiss a girl until I've made some sort of direct commitment to her.

Special thanks to my models.

The responses were mixed. Some people took the time to chat about a first date anecdote (I didn't save these comments for posterity because they didn't necessarily help answer the question). Some people agreed with my philosophy. Others thought my philosophy was stupid.

The arguments against my philosophy were more eloquently put than were the arguments for my personal philosophy. As it was, the answer to my question seemed to be, "Second date or bust."

The thing was, several of my close female friends have told me they liked my way of thinking. And when I talked about my post with a new friend of mine, she told me I was spot on with my philosophy.

Of course, all this confusion didn't really answer my former question. "Which Date Should You Kiss On?" There didn't seem to be one answer, and I agonized over how to write this post.

Then, all at once, I had it.


See, there's two different versions of 'The Game'. One is the version I just made you lose. The other is a shortened way to say 'The Dating Game.' And nobody likes the dating game. But what really is the Dating Game?

A failure to communicate.

For example, when a girl looks between the lines of every text a guy sends, she's playing the dating game. She is assuming he's not being forthright in his statements. She guess and second guesses every move he makes, expecting ulterior motives because she doesn't want to ask exactly what he's thinking.

On the flip side, when a guy looks between the lines of every text a girl sends, he's playing the dating game. He is assuming she's not being forthright in her statements. He guess and second guesses every move she makes, expecting ulterior motives because he doesn't want to ask exactly what she's thinking.

If people were more upfront, the 'Dating Game' would die.

So let's go back to kissing. It's pretty obvious that many different people have many different viewpoints about kissing and when you should initiate. What if people with different kissing philosophies start going on dates together?

Why not talk about it?

Me: "Hey, girl I'm into! I really enjoyed this second date, and I want to kiss you, but I personally don't feel super comfortable kissing girls until I'm committed to them."

Girl: "That's totally fair! However, I don't feel super comfortable going on a third date with you until you express your interest with a kiss."

Me: "So you're saying if I don't kiss you, it's a deal breaker?"

Girl: "Yeah! What if we don't kiss before we start dating officially, and it turns out you're a super gross kisser?"

Me: "Yeah, and what if you're a super gross kisser?"

Girl: "Uh ... sure?"

... or the girl says she's willing to wait or whatever. The point is, if you're willing to talk about it, you can figure out not only how to mesh your kissing philosophies, but also how you can talk through things together. That's also important to know before you guys start reaching critical commitment levels, anyway.

But what do you think? Be sure to leave a comment below!

This Week's Top Comments

This was a text message from my sister forwarded to my email.



3 comments:

  1. Oh my! Given the diversity of opinions, I have to agree that your solution to this debate is spot on: communicate! Also, I wonder how many of your readers would have responded differently had a definition of "kissing" been defined? I personally was startled to realize I was assuming the first kiss you were referring to involved a kiss on the lips, rather than possibly a kiss on the cheek, as suggested by Kea Anderson ("Just a kiss on the cheek, though.") That comment really got me pondering the meaning of a kiss, and in particular, meanings of different kinds of kisses. A kiss on the cheek or forehead would likely send a message of interest to the receiver of said kiss, without confusing the gesture with any sexual overtones. I really like the idea! On the other hand, ladies, I'd like to point out that when a guy shows interest in a girl with a lip-to-lip kiss, it is not clear whether the interest is in her as a person, or in her as an object of passion or even lust. In other words, it may not mean what you think. On the other hand, a guy who has learned (from this blog or elsewhere) the value of communication, and who therefore tells you he is interested, but holds back on the intimacy of a kiss, may be saying to you, 'I like you as a person enough to put my own desires on hold until it looks like this relationship has real potential.' Comments about the dangers of commitment before chemistry has been tested suggest that a lip kiss might be timed as a final test of compatibility just prior to addressing a desire for exclusivity. In any case, I personally love a chaste kiss on the cheek as an expression of budding emotional intimacy and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing with kissing is its scary for a lot of people. Girls who are used to being kissed probably don't associate emotional commitment with it as strongly as girls who arent and therefore often aren't as comfortable with it. (Not necessarily the rule, this is just kind of what I've seen with my friends who are girls). When a girl views a kiss as appropriate and when a girl is comfortable with it aren't necessarily the same things. I agree with the communications thing though. Every couple has these hurdles that only openness can conquer.

    ReplyDelete