Friday, March 11, 2016

Traffic Week: The Angry Lady

I have written two posts this week, both of them detailing various aspects of my road rage.

Here is the incident that prompted me to begin changing my ways.

I recently made the decision to make a quick run to Wal-Mart at 4:00PM.

You know. The hour before 5:00PM.

RUSH HOUR.

Once I realized my tactical error, I gave in to the madness. Turning up my jams, I rocked out as the cars slowly inched their way forward.



When I say traffic was packed, it was packed. It took me about two or three tries to get through each green light before it turned red again. Movement was a rare commodity.

At one point, I made it through a green light just as the light a block ahead of me turned red. One of my personal peeves is tailgating, so I gave the car ahead of me ample room as I slowly coasted forward.

The only reason I mention this is because I have no other explanation as to why the lady behind me got so mad.

I first noticed her because of the erratic movement of her vehicle. She kept swerving back and forth behind me, like she was trying to peek into the lanes on either side of her. She looked angry, and she kept throwing up her arms with these huge, exasperated motions. I assumed she wanted me to catch up to the car in front of me, but I didn't really see the point, considering I was about two car-lengths behind and coming up on a red light. Even after we came to a stop, she kept waving her arms.

Finally, she appeared to have had enough. When she had the chance, she pulled into the next lane over and shot up beside me. I was fairly certain she was going to do something interesting, so I looked over at her.

Sure enough, she threw up her arms and sneered at me, shaking her head with the most disgusted expression.

Unfortunately for her, the lane she'd commandeered was moving more slowly than the lane I stayed in. I cruised far ahead of her before she pulled into the shoulder and zoomed past everyone.

I shook my head at her retreating bumper. Man, it's not like I or anyone else really have control over the traffic. Why is she so angry?

Why is she so angry?

Why do I get so angry?

And thus Traffic Week was born.

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I appreciate about you is your willingness to be introspective ... to liken scriptures and the adventures of modern life to yourself.

    ReplyDelete