Saturday, March 12, 2016

Traffic Week: American Border Control Should Be Optimized

I'll be honest, I've always been for opening the borders further.

For one thing, I know that illegal immigrants take jobs for which no American citizens would ever apply. For another thing, I've met good, honest people from both Jamaica and Arizona* who struggled to immigrate legally. I remember one good woman who tried no less than four times to enter the United States legally, but corrupt border officials destroyed her papers every time. Finally, she gave up and hopped the wall illegally.

At the same time, I know that weaknesses in our current border policy have allowed crime between countries to flourish. I don't feel comfortable asking our local police forces to tackle crimes that technically shouldn't be America's problem in the first place.

So I propose a compromise of sorts.


Make immigrating legally easier.

America can accomplish this by removing unnecessary bureaucratic red tape (which you know exists) and doing a better job investigating the current border guards for corruption.

Run more extensive background checks.

I don't know the current procedures for background checks, and I imagine they're quite extensive. However, I believe most background checks are composed primarily of lists of deeds, like criminal records and employment histories. I think background checks should be more focused on the character of the immigrant. Search for character references and observe them in their day-to-day life.

My confessions.

I don't really know a lot about border control. I suspect this post is riddled with holes in my arguments. However, I have met illegal immigrants who represented America well, and I have met individuals who would represent America well if given the chance. I don't think we should make things even more difficult for them.

And as CougarMan quoth below, "I was a stranger, and ye took me in."

*Where I served my mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

This Week's Top Comments


2 comments:

  1. I think it's easy to mix up the difference between border control and immigration laws because they are connected. But personally I think strengthening border control is good, but on a different yet related subject that was discussed in this article, I think loosening up on immigration laws is also good. Not having border control or having less border control, is one way of loosening immigration laws but I don't think it's the right way. Getting rid of some of the bureaucratic red tape- definitely a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Thank you for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete