Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Which Date Should You Kiss On? - Thinkjoust Tuesday #40

Let's talk about dating etiquette!

My personal policy is that I don't kiss anyone until I've made a commitment to them. I will not be changing this policy anytime soon.

At the same time, a few of my friend's female friends recently told him they expect to be kissed on the second date. After all, they said, if the guy hasn't kissed you by then, that means he's not interested. They wouldn't believe the guy is interested even if he's asked for a third date.

I found their philosophy, which was so contrary to mine, fascinating. My friend's friends and I represented two different ends of a wide spectrum. If I were to date someone looking for a second date kiss, then I might unintentionally alienate them by operating under my own policy. My friend and I discussed how many potential relationships may end based on people holding these sorts of differing viewpoints.

I'm writing this blog post to try and get a feel for the average first kiss expectations among my readers. I plan to use Saturday's post to present my findings. My studies will include any arguments you deliver via the comments section or social media engagements.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say.


5 comments:

  1. I too have wondered the same thing and I like you won't kiss unless in a committed relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually started thinking about this recently! And since I am a girl, I figured I would leave something here :) Personally, I don't mind waiting to be kissed. In fact, I like the idea to wait until you're committed to kiss. But at the same time, if there's no commitment after the third or fourth date, I think that's when it starts to be okay in general. Just a kiss on the cheek, though. Nothing huge until either 1) you're actually in a relationship, or 2) both of you are comfortable to the point that it's okay. Because really, what you're comfortable with is most important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a girl with many friends that are girls, I definitely think that girls expect to be kissed if the person is interested. Not necessarily committed or exclusive, but at least interested. When you're going on dates with someone, you obviously like them enough to go on dates with them, but I'm not sure that I would want to get into an exclusive relationship without being kissed because, 1. It shows that you're interested, and 2. Chemistry is an important thing to figure out. It might sound shallow, but a lot of my friends have expressed concern that they would start to date a boy seriously without kissing them and then find out that they are the grossest kisser, ever.

    There's nothing wrong with waiting. Meeting up just to NCMO is honestly just kinda dumb. But I expect to be kissed by a boy who likes me within the first four dates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete