Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Traffic Week: Fire Trucks and my Personal Idiocy

I find myself running late for work quite often. When I'm feeling stressed about this potential tardiness, I usually get much more impatient and annoyed with things like stoplights and slow-moving vehicles.


On at least two recent occasions, the traffic around me came to a standstill because of emergency vehicles, specifically fire trucks. People slowed down and pulled over, and I slammed my head against the steering wheel in frustration.

No, the wheel, not the horn.

Of course, looking back on these incidents, I realize I was being stupid.

It's not the fault of the fire truck that I'm running late for work, it's my fault. And if my house was burning down, I'd want the fire truck to ram people in their way.

Okay, maybe not actually ram people, but you know what I mean.

The point is, I find it easy to get angry about obstacles I can't control. Even worse, I allow these obstacles to fuel my resentment toward others. And the absolute worst is that, sometimes, something I perceive as an obstacle is the means for someone else's relief.

So, like my post from Monday, my road rage often gets the better of me. It's time for me to get a new perspective.

Did you notice when I mentioned I looked back on the fire truck incidents? The sad thing is, I didn't realize how dumb I was being until some time after. It took someone else to show me I need to change my ways.

But I'll tell you all about that on Friday ...

No comments:

Post a Comment