Wednesday, March 2, 2016

It's Summer Somewhere Slam 2016 (4 Videos)


You know, every time I write a post about BYU's poetry slams (like this one, and this one), I always throw a whole bunch of commentary in about my thoughts on the event, how glad I was to go, what I liked the most about it, yadda yadda yadda.

Well, guess what. There are some fantastic slam poets down below, just waiting for you to give them your ear. I'm not going to let my windbag writing style keep you from the fruit!

I didn't record these two, but seeing as how they were my favorite, I promoted them to this post's visual representation in social media. Now, onto the slams!










And if you'd like to see the text of Josie and I's poem, here it is. We wrote our own lines, so BAM.

Opportunity Cost

Both (together)
An exposé of the thoughts in your mind
when you pass someone special that catches your eye

Josie
I saw you last week, I think
In a crowd, just a blink,
but long enough because I’ve made you familiar enough.
Somehow, someway, I know your gait, your pace
I know you’re coming down the hall, my face
drops to the floor
I can’t pretend you haven’t walked by before
Or that I didn’t purposely sit by the door
To jump up ever so casually
To time this ever so perfectly
Align it all cosmically
expect it expectantly

Zac
Life is so amazin’, and I find bliss
then I’m lost in a maze, and my mind is
screaming like a broken record
Hatch like I’m a yolk and egg, or
suffocate inside my shell
My next step is hard to tell
When I see your face, girl, wanna say hi
But then you gotta go and pass me by,
Again and again, time and time
But you’re not the first path I’ve crossed in kind
i can’t just talk to you brazenly
but maybe we’d hit it off, and eventually
I’d find happiness resting inside your arms
But I can’t imagine talking doing good than harm

Josie
I know you like basketball because you mentioned the score- 
My dad and I’ve been watching since I was just 4
I know you like farming, or maybe just green, 
because you wear a John Deere tractor shirt which kind of baffles me
I know you like I know the back of my hand, 
which actually is a saying I don’t really understand
Probably, you have a sister who bought you those shoes- 
in my head you’re adorably clueless about mixing browns and blues
Or maybe it’s a girlfriend who’s influencing your taste-  
my bubble has burst with your arm around her waist
But what’s the harm in hoping that only I can see your charm- 
and as long as no one knows, they can’t be too alarmed

Zac
Don’t know a thing about you, but I can assume
After all, you always light this room
I’mma super geek, you seem cooler than me
Looking right on fleek as you flaunt your jeans
Do you watch TV, and the shows I like
What about your major, is it art or psych?
Are you the kind of person likin’ quiet nights indoors,
Do you ski on a mountain or sunbathe by the shore
So many things I could learn, as my head a-starts to turn
Daren’t say a thing cuz my interest you will burn.

Josie
Out of nowhere, I’m thinking that you and me is we
Which scared my sense of individuality
I want to pretend that I’ve got immunity,
that my independence guards me from ever being weak
But independent me is blind to opportunities
And if I see you, you might say something to me

Zac
I’m just tryna weigh your opportunity cost
I wanna label you a queen with immunity to frost
Cuz If I talk to you, I might look the foo’
I don’t really want pity from a stranger like you
So I think I’m just going to let this slide
and avert my gaze when you meet my eyes

Both (together)
I’ve made up my list:

Both (back and forth)
Z Engaging and precise
J My aunts will think he’s nice
Z Astoundingly aware
J Knows “their”, they’re and there


J Strong jawline,
Z Jokes about doing lines
J Ready to go green
Z Intellect sharp and keen

Z Okay with Rap
J Knows the poverty gap
Z Uses slang from the 80s
J Impressed my roommate, Katie

J Kind, humble and smart,
Z Fine with clothes from Wal-Mart,
J Aware of his Maker
Z Testimony Anchored

Both (together)
I’ve made up my list and you perfectly fit
Because you seem legit, not a counterfeit

Here’s the harm in hoping when passing in the hall
I think I know you, don’t say hi at all

An exposé of the opportunity cost
when you pass someone special: opportunity lost

No comments:

Post a Comment