Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Dance of Life (poem)

Psalms 150:4 - "Praise him with the timbrel and dance ..."

Slept through my clock, homework's on the line
I'm scramblin' for my socks 'cuz I'm out of time

With only two hours left, and five more are due
down my schedule will shift, filled with what to do

Do I read, do I write, do I go for a jog?
M&Ms are my breakfast, my brain is a fog

On top of my printer I forgot my paper
double back to retrieve, now I'm even later

But as I'm walking through the muddle and the mess
something's coursing through me like the Spirit's address

And it's all I can do just to match the beat
by steppin' and jumpin' and stompin' my feet

The crowd turns their eyes just to see me go
Shameless before mockery and woe

It's unacceptable to dance instead of walkin'
but our power to change is consumed by talkin'

So if he or she or they won't shut their mouths
I don't frankly care if they find me uncouth

(And I know those words don't traditionally rhyme
But if Tennyson can do it, then why not I?)

So the stress you're feelin' doesn't have to last
lift your head and catch the eyes of those you pass

Don't forget your urge to let it out
To express how you feel when you're feelin' proud

Of who you are, of what you did,
of how you've grown from a little kid

To be the best, and to own yourself
and to shove your fears back on the shelf

Up to the heavens release your cry
You've got all your life before you die

Don't give up, don't compromise
The stars ain't a limit, soar through the skies

Live your dreams and conquer the world
and loose your standard, don't let it furl

This and so much more is why I run
Erase from my dictionary that word 'done'

Because I'm not here to start, nor to finish
Victory nor defeat can my soul diminish

To find this hidden truth, you may have to scrub
through the grime of life, aye, there's the rub

But once you're there, I'm sure you'll find
my philosophy can be called far more than mine

So yes, I draw stares to my little dance
bu don't take my word, give it a chance

No comments:

Post a Comment