Monday, February 2, 2015

Smile Rap (POEM)

3 Nephi 19:30 - "And when Jesus had spoken these words he came again unto his disciples; and behold they did pray steadfastly, without ceasing, unto him; and he did smile upon them again ..."

Note: I wasn't feeling going traditional today, so I wrote this with a song/rap in mind, as opposed to a traditional poem containing proper, consistent meter. Under different circumstances, I would actually film my imagined rendition for today, but given the business of the day, look for that later this month!

I see your grump face
not that out of place
here in the rat race
but just in case

Just thought I'd tell you
and your fellows too
what you all should do
when bad comes for you

You see, my computer is dead
Got an achy head
Hours since I been fed
Prospects are fled

I just want to complain
and complain again
But if I so refrain
Then misery will reign

So I grit my teeth
Suck in my gut
Throw on my jams
Forget the rut

When the rhythm and the beat
goes and gets me pumpin'
It's all I can do
just to keep from jumpin'

And then I smile
At everyone
I smile
Just for fun
Holdin' doors open
with widened grin
I got a light
don't keep it in
I smile
For you

(Scat)

Everybody always goin' on
about what's goin' on
war death hunger
pestilience famine

There's things we can't control
But if I can be so bold
and shout a message old
from pole to pole

Stuff may be up and happenin'
It don't look close to stappenin'

But the girl over there with the tired eyes
The guy back there lookin' fit to fry
The woman mustering a quiet sigh
The man over here just about to cry
These folks deserve more, like you and I
And there's something we can do before they pass us by
So up with me and sing this war cry

So then we smile
At everyone
We smile
Just for fun
Present our mirth
with widened smirk
Cherish the things
we knew from birth
We smile
For them

(Scat)

Some of them will scoff at us
some of them will just mock us
But they can't take the wheels off our happy bus
As we spread what we got amid their fuss

The weary, sad, and downtrodden
The angry, weak, tears ducts sodden
Will climb the cliff that they've fallen
And away their fears, forgotten

And on, away, with our pleasant march
Feelin' as fresh as laundry starch
We'll take this world by flame and storm
Cuz we're all just glad that we been born

You have the power to change your mood
Fight off the world, step back from crude
Don't be just like some simple dude
And take my advice, simple and shrewd

You gotta smile
At everyone
Just smile
Even for fun
There ain't no thing
can get you down
If you shoulder up
and wipe that frown
Just smile
For you

No comments:

Post a Comment