Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pitching My Novel (Part 2 of 2)

John 14:27 - "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."


... Finally, it was 8:45 am.

I was early to the Nebo (see pictures from yesterday!) to ensure one of two things: first, I wanted to make sure I didn't get waylaid by any or thing on the way over, and second, I had been studying the provided pictures of the representatives with whom I'd gained an audience. If I could, I wanted the chance to introduce myself before the actual pitch so as to leave a more lasting impression.

Some very cool advertising for a new series by J Scott Savage! Click here to check out his website!
Sure enough, my first contact arrived about ten minutes early. I wasn't sure how to approach her at first, so I was grateful when she conveniently crossed to my side of the hallway. I struck up a conversation about how long she'd been working for her company, what she liked about working there, if she was a writer herself, etc, and also discovered she's also attending BYU. Sweet!

With that, we were eventually both ushered into the room, I into the hot seat, and we discussed my query letter, novel concept, and if what I had before her had sparked any interest for her company. After my two dollars a minute were up, she handed me her card and kept my query.

The hallway for registration/central hub of the event.
The next representative was over an hour away, so I hung out in a panel or two until it was time for me to be anxiously engaged seeking a familiar face. I didn't have the same opportunity to hold a conversation with the second representative, but I was able to quickly introduce myself before I got in line behind everyone else.

The second meeting was different from the first, but I was totally fine with that because I got twice as much help. We focused a lot more on the query letter and on what defined my novel's genre than the first, but, again, following my two dollars a minute, I received a business card in turn.

The merchandise room. I was impressed with my own ability to not buy anything there, at least this year.
Both representatives recommended I submit my queries to their respective companies. There were no promises or anything of the sort from their end, but, according to my own understanding of what was discussed, both thought my concept had potential. Both wanted to read more. And though it'd be a miracle for lightening to strike at such a young age and with relatively so little attempts to publish on my part, I recognized the amazing blessing and experience I'd just had. As my sister put it later in the day, I got farther into the publishing world in one day than many writers do in their lifetimes.

The room of booths, for both writers and publishers.
The circumstances surrounding this opportunity were amazing. I was absolutely stunned that I received such a wonderful Valentine's Day gift, or early birthday present, rather. I recognized the Lord's hand in it, and made sure to offer several prayers of thanks before finally submitting my queries to those two companies. Time will tell if I'll leave an even better impression later, or if I'll have to strike out elsewhere. Either way, this was an opportunity I'll never forget.

Love you guys! See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment