Wednesday, February 25, 2015

No Inhibitions: 'The Wall' Performance

Ephesians 5:13 - "But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light."

A few days ago, my best mate told me he'd found a new favorite song, that collab by Rihanna, Kanye, and Paul. "You should play it for me on the uke," he said.

I listened to it for a bit. "I'll have to practice it," I said.

"Pfffft, whatever," he said.

Then, he forgot about it.

As the week went by, I took a little bit of time out of each day to practice the tune, struggling to even poorly catch the timbre and rhythm of the voices and the instrumentation. However, once I reached a point I felt mildly comfortable, I decided to finally play the song on Tuesday night.

It's a general tradition that, following my staff meeting on Tuesdays, I go join the gang down at The Wall to finish watching its open mic night before we all head back over to their place.

When I arrived, things were more or less winding down. "Hey, man," my friend said. "You should play something!"

I wasn't really feeling in the right mood for one of my improvs. "Pfft," I said. "Naw. But, I'll play you something later tonight."

"What!" he said. "Play it now!"

I didn't feel confident, knowing I still needed headphones to match their voices. "No."

"Do it!"

"No."

"Come on!"

"No."

"Dude!"

"No."


Next thing I knew, I was on stage. "How the heck did I ..."

My friend was holding the chords/lyrics up for me. "Play, now, Mon!"

And so, I did. It certainly wasn't my most polished performance, and there was a general consensus that song isn't meant to be played on the uke, but I belted it anyway. The crowd, at that point, consisted of nothing but friends, and despite my struggles, they let up a cheer. It was enough.

What inhibitions are YOU going to conquer today?

No comments:

Post a Comment