Friday, February 6, 2015

Prayer: DMV

Alma 34:20 - "Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks."

Once upon last August, Dad told me, "Son, you need to put the title of your car in your name, you need to get a new license, and you need to register it."

"Sure thing, Dad!" I said.

"So," Dad says to me last week. "Your Washington plates are supposed to expire soon. You done all that stuff I asked you yet?"

"No way, Dad!" I said.

So, yesterday, I purposefully woke up at the horrendous hour of 5:30am so I could be the first one at the DMV the following morning. I read my scriptures, I worked out, I showered, I brushed back my hair, and out the door I skedaddled. Most importantly, however, I asked Father that this excursion would not interfere with my other commitments in the day. I have a shift at 1:00, I said. Please help me have the time I need.

Despite my best efforts, I arrived second to the DMV. Respectfully tipping my head to the man who'd defeated me in scheduling combat, I proceeded to continue to read Jane Austen's Persuasion.

The doors eventually opened, and in we all went. There were only four of us at that time, so I was feeling pretty good when I received my number.

501.

WHAT COME ON

DING! My number popped up over someone's desk. Breathing a sigh of relief, I approached the desk.

"Ok, cool," the lady said after looking over my documents. "So, because you have an out-of-state license, you can't actually get a Utah one here. You'll have to go to the other side of Orem. Oh, and you haven't had your car inspected by the state? You'll need to do that as well before I can help you further. Be sure to come back when you're done!"

I stared at her.

I looked back at the mass of people now making a giant line out the door.

I cursed internally.

Leap! Into my car. Vroom! Across town. Vroom! Across another town. Screech! Into yet another DMV parking lot. Leap! Out of my car.

I ended up entering after a massive mass of people. When they all stopped to fill out forms, I smiled. I'd already filled one out before coming into the place.

Snap! Went the camera taking my picture. "Here's your number," the lady said.

347?!?

DING! My number popped up over someone's desk almost immediately. Breathing a sigh of relief, I bypassed all the individuals who presumably weren't exchanging out-of-state licenses.

The lady behind the counter was new, but someone was coaching her along. They were very friendly, and I thought they were the most wonderful people I'd ever met until the newbie said, "So you'll have to take a driving test today."

NOOOOOOooooooooooo

"Not for another two years," said the trainer. "See? His old Utah license doesn't expire until 2017."

YEEEEEEESSSSSS

Back to the car I sprinted, new paperwork in hand. As I drove back toward Provo, I called my favorite mechanic, the unironically-named "Honest-1 Auto Care."

"You guys do state inspections?"

"Ee-yup."

"Cool. See you soon!"

Striding into the place, I tossed my key over. "How long will this take?" I said, figuring several days if they were backlogged.

"Probably an hour or so."

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

I continued to read Persuasion. Persuastion continued to fail to persuade me of anything.

After an hour, the mechanic tossed my key back to me. I caught it and bolted out the door. Hopping into the driver's seat, and gunned it and turned my car toward the Provo DMV.

"I finished everything!" I told the guy giving out numbers. "I got a new license, I got a State inspection, I ..."

The number guy gave me a number, apparently not caring. Shrugging, I took a look.

19763?!?!?!?!?!!

DING! My number almost immediately appeared above someone's desk.

The lady took a long look at all my paperwork.

I started to sweat.

The lady took an even longer look at my paperwork.

I asked for a mop.

The lady took the longest look I've ever seen in my life.

I opted to stand in the bucket instead.

"You're all good to go!" she said. "Here are your new plates,"

I stared at them in awe.

Success!

And so, five minutes before 11:00am, three hours after I arrived at the Provo DMV to begin with, I found myself putting my new plates on.

He does answer! 


No comments:

Post a Comment