Saturday, January 9, 2016

Why I'm Cancelling the "Know Your Candidate" Feature

This is the third entry of four outlining the changes I'm planning for this blog in 2016. The first can be found here, and the second can be found here. The post you're currently reading focuses on Saturday posts.


I'll admit, I haven't always been a fan of politics. I've been very hesitant to write about politics, too. I want this blog to be a haven for welcoming, open communication, and introducing heavy topics tends to encourage rancor in any comments section.

However, as I became a fan of the Hamilton musical (warning: both strong and historically accurate language awaits ye who click here), and discovered my personal dislike for He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, I began taking a greater interest in politics.

I didn't intend for politics to become a feature of Change and Cherish, but I changed my mind after I made a very specific challenge at the end of my post about Voldemort.

"Or, if you can't handle that, then spend as much time learning about [Voldemort] as you do learning about every single other candidate. Give them your time, too."

I decided to assist my readers in completing this challenge, and so started writing Know Your Candidate.

Since then, Know Your Candidate posts have consistently strayed to the middle of the road in regards to pageviews. However, research has indicated that these pageviews come from interested third parties, and not dedicated readers of this blog. Judging from the poll at the end of 2015, it appears no die-hard C&C fans come looking for KYC.

So, as the title suggests, I'm cancelling Know Your Candidate.

However, I'm not through with political posts. On weeks when I become interested in a trending topic, I generally write a post about that. An example includes my post about religious freedom. Sometimes, posts about controversial religious topics take the place of that week's political post, like my thoughts on children from a same-sex marriage. 

Political/religious topics will now be discussed by the community on Tuesdays, to facilitate discussion for the restructured Thinkjousts. I will offer my own opinions via the usual Saturday posts, taking into consideration what has been commented on Tuesday.

Let me know what you think about this change! I'll see you tomorrow, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment