Friday, January 8, 2016

How I Robbed My University of $303.40

1 Timothy 2:2 - "For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty."

Textbooks are one of the many hidden costs behind a college education, standing alongside meals, rent, and inane parking laws designed to produce parking tickets.

I am trying to save as much money as possible, and so found myself stymied by the cost of my books. I'm taking three classes in-person, requiring 7 different textbooks altogether.

I learned the University was selling new copies of these books for a total of $303.40. This came to an average of about $43.34 a book. The used copies weren't much better, coming out to a total of $248.95 and an average of $35.56 a book.

The on-campus store was not satisfying me with their prices. So, I did some research.

First, I went to the library. After poking around for a bit, I discovered that three of my textbooks were in the library. All I have to do is renew the three remaining books until I no longer need them. My quick run around the library saved me $74.70-$99.80.


I saved a further $23.20-$30.90 when I figured out the library had a digital copy of another one of my textbooks. This made me angry for reasons I will explain further down.

So now I needed three more books. This is a trick most of you are familiar with, but I went on to Amazon.

My 3rd-level ASL book was the most expensive of the lot, primarily because it contained a DVD in the packaging. However, another look around the library revealed that the media center offered VHS copies, so I didn't worry about buying a used book and discovering it doesn't have a DVD. I paid the online bookstore $37.73, thereby saving $47.22.

I bought my two remaining books from Amazon as well. The University store wanted $66.10-$88.05 for the lot. By shopping online, I spent $34.13, saving about $66.10-$88.05 from those two purchases alone.

And my University never got a single cent.

If I seem pleased, it's because I am.

For starters, I think my idea to look for textbooks in the library was pretty ingenious. I'm aware that this is not a sustainable strategy--I checked out the only available copies for at least two of those books--but if you're a student, you may save some money by poking around your school's library.

I'm also pleased because I feel like the on-campus bookstore engaged in forms of extortion and deception.

Yes, the University gives students the chance to compare textbook prices over a wide spectrum of options, from its own store to Amazon to places I've never heard of, like Valore Books. However, the fact that the on-campus store sells books at prices so much higher than the market in exchange for mere convenience frustrates me. Many students and teachers grow annoyed when nobody has their books during the first week of classes because so many people, like myself, feel compelled to look for better deals.

In addition, the University has access to an online version of one of my textbooks. Rather than inform students of this option, they shepherd us to their store. Why are they even paying for the digital rights to that textbook in the first place?

Do Universities really need to sneak around to obtain extra cash from us?

No comments:

Post a Comment