Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Missed (Poem)

I was productive.
I swear I was!
Working in the library
without break or pause.

See, when I entered,
sun lit up the sky,
but when I finally left
it had long been night.

Didn't think too much
about any of that,
went to find some friends
to kick back and chat.

But then, one of them
pulled out her phone,
asked if we'd seen the sunset,
for away she'd been blown.


I stared at the photo
she'd decided to take.
The sunset was stunning,
my heart started to ache.

What had I missed
by occupying my time?
A pretty sight lost
to my own daily grind.

By distracting myself
with the cares of mankind,
to a side of beauty
I made myself blind.

I spent the next day
staring at my screen.
My work didn't shine.
It had lost all its gleam.

Because, after all,
I will never forget
the afternoon I missed
a gorgeous sunset.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So is that a good thing, or a bad thing? And is it suitably motivational?

      Delete
  2. Zach- you're signed up for the Slam this Saturday, right? That was our deal!

    ReplyDelete