Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Why Education is Caustic Compared to Actual Learning

As evidenced in a few of my recent blog posts, I've taken a serious interest in becoming an autodidact. My recent topics of self-study include politics, the American revolution, and philosophy, among other things. I recently got a whole heap of books for Christmas, and I've been working through them whenever I can snag a break from my textbooks.

Also included in this stack is a book about a blogger from Baghdad (a study of politics and bloggers), an autobiography by Rainn Wilson (a study of humor and success), and a couple of Star Wars books (a study of character development and of Shared Universes).
Yeah, OK, the Star Wars stuff may be stretching the whole 'educational' aspect of being an autodidact, but remember I'm also a writer of fiction. I gotta study it somehow sometime.

Anyway, I enjoy learning about this stuff far more than I enjoy any of my current University course work.

I couldn't figure out why.

My original theory was that I enjoy choosing what I learn about more than being told what I should learn about. However, I soon squashed that theory. After all, didn't I choose this University? Didn't I choose my own major? Don't I get to select my own classes? I mean, I'm in American Folklore right now. Shouldn't I be enjoying that?

I wrestled with this for a while. Finally, I came upon a conclusion.

I hate education because the system doesn't care about what I know. It punishes me for what I don't know.

I want to use an American Revolution history class as an example. I haven't taken one of these in a while, but my concerns with this hypothetical course are universal across every class I have ever taken.

When I study the revolution on my own, I am only concerned with what I personally retain. I have the option to remember details personally relevant to me, and forget the rest (like specific dates). I am not held accountable for what I don't later recall, but I feel motivated because I have broadened my mind with the details I do recall.

When I study the revolution in class, I am not satisfied with what I personally retain. No amount of attention or studying is going to fully prepare me for every single detail a future test might ask of me. When I take a test about what we've studied, I have no time to feel proud of the answers I know because I am sweating over the answers I don't know. Every mistake costs me a point, but I'm not rewarded for the correct answers I give. All I know is that my 100% is slowly bleeding from the mouth with every incorrect pencil stroke.

You may disagree with me, but let me give you one more example why I think education is more caustic than learning.

I remember at least two lectures in my college career when my professor mentioned something I wanted to learn more about right then right there. I pulled out my internet-capable devices and looked up the relevant information.

After a few moments of personalized research, I was chastised in front of the entire class for not paying attention.

It didn't matter to the professor that I was interested in what they were teaching. It didn't matter that I was trying to engage in a learning process appealing to me. All they knew is that I wasn't desperately trying to memorize their lectures.

So I stand. What say ye? Be sure to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment