Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Why Donald Trump Will Not Win

I've made myself clear about how I feel about Trump. I actually wrote a whole rant about him way back in September of last year. You can read about that here.

Two things stand out in my mind, now that I'm remembering that original post. 

First, it's time for me to break my vow of silence and talk about Trump again. Even though my opinions about Trump astounded and spread throughout the entire blogosphere, reaching millions upon billions of readers*,  it quickly became apparent that only a few people actually listened to me. In fact, even more people talked about Trump after I was finished with my two cents. 

Of course, I'll be the first to admit it. I may have been wrong to make such an appeal. A few weeks ago, my University newspaper released an article that condemned several major news organizations for ignoring Trump in the early months, claiming that may have added to 'the problem.'

I'M SORRY OK oh wait I am the furthest thing away from a major news organization I guess you weren't talking about me whew still though

Second, I feel like that previous post stands up pretty well even after six superseding months of political maneuverings from the previous myriad of presidential candidates (what's our count now? Five?). I said Trump acts like a man-child, and he continues to do so. Maybe my examples are outdated now, but a plethora remain. Just watch this video and you'll see the mere surface of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, that's right. I'm talking about Trump again.

Let's ignore the possibility that the Republican Party might be dealing with a split vote and may choose their presidential candidate themselves. Let's ignore the possibility the same thing might happen with the Democratic party.** Let's talk about what would happen if Trump were to win the Republican nomination.

He would not become president.


Let's say Trump goes up against, oh, let's say Hillary Clinton. Most Democrats will probably vote for her.

But what about the Republican side of things?

There's a reason the Republicans are facing a split vote. There are scores of 'devout' Republicans who are utterly opposed to everything Trump stands for. Mitt Romney, former Republican candidate, is a prime example, while several lists of 'other' notable #NeverTrump advocates are all over the place. If Trump wins the nomination, many Republicans will vote Democrat or abstain altogether just to keep him from winning.***

If Trump is as divisive as everyone says he is, then why are people still supporting him? He's already facing a loss, and I'm pretty sure most people, even his own supporters, know it.

Ok, fair. Some of you intelligent sorts are questioning my logic. Don't worry, I see the flaw, too. And that's why**

*read: 104 direct views as of yesterday.

**I'm planning on writing a post discussing that possibility in the near future.

***Catch my Hamilton reference?

1 comment: