Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Can Positive Racism Exist? - Thinkjoust Tuesday #45


About a month ago, one of my good friends sent me a text message asking me a shotgun of questions all about racism. These questions ended up becoming the center of an hour-long discussion.

During this discussion, several of my colleagues threw around the phrase 'positive racism.' It was argued that certain races demonstrate a statistical propensity for certain activities. Examples included black NBA players being able to jump higher than their white counterparts, and Asians scoring higher on their math assessments on average. In the end, a majority of the participants in the discussion agreed that positive racism isn't a bad thing.

I am curious to see if the participants in this thinkjoust will come to a different conclusion.

I plan to use Saturday's post to offer my own opinion, as well as offer my thoughts on the discussion in the comments section.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say about positive racism. Or, if you'd like, feel free to respond to the other questions brought up in the previously-mentioned discussion.

"Do you think it's okay to be a racist if you admit or acknowledge that you are one?"

"Can you be racist in a non-hateful way?"

"Is all racism bad?"

2 comments:

  1. You aren't going to get a lot of responses from people who believe racism can be okay, especially because people don't like being judged for their unpopular beliefs.
    I don't have that problem.
    I think that there are distinct pros and cons to each Human ethnicity and I believe there is scientific evidence to validate that belief. Some races are legitimately better at certain tasks than others, and it is not a bad thing to know and admit that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to the day when skin color is irrelevant. "For the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."

    ReplyDelete