Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Is the Death Penalty a Good Thing? - Thinkjoust Tuesday #42

There are a lot of people with a myriad of opinions regarding the death penalty. To put it in the simplest and possibly most redundant way possible, some people are for it, and some people are against it.

Of course, with every opinion lies subtleties. Some think that, while the death penalty is a good thing, it is given too freely, and the crimes that earn you the death penalty should be even more severe. Others think the victim's family should decide the punishment, and another portion believe that spending life in prison is a harsher sentence.

I plan to use Saturday's post to present my up-to-date opinion about the death penalty. However, I want to gain a full understanding of the different viewpoints about this issue. My studies will include any arguments you deliver via the comments section below.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.


 For those of you as uninformed as I am, here are some recent articles discussing this very topics:

Death Penalty Info - Methods of Execution

Old case makes it hard to embrace new momentum against death penalty

Death-penalty opponents to present clergy letter to Ohio lawmakers

Alabama's Death Penalty Needs to Go

In grisly murder, judge agrees with jury's call for death penalty

Race and the Death Penalty in Texas

3 comments:

  1. My answer: Sometimes. If there's no doubt about the person's guilt and the crime was serious enough, then it's fine. The purpose of a death penalty is to get rid of people who's mere existence is too dangerous to the public. Otherwise, they might as well get life in prison.

    The reason I feel this way is because executions are surprisingly expensive and unreversible. If you find that you've executed an innocent person, there's little you can do to right that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my belief that every effort should be made to rehabilitate those that have committed serious crimes, to a realistic extent. I think "life in prison" is a massive waate of resources and a cruel & unusual punishment to boot. Instead we should be having felons serve realistic prison sentences while also being educated (and to a degree brainwashed) so they can successfully integrate back into society and avoid repeating their past mistakes.
    Now, repeat offenders, on the other hand- especially sex crime offenders (rapists, child molesters, etc) should definitely be considered for death sentences. If rehabilitation cannot get them to change their toxic habits, it is not worth the tax resources required to keep them alive in prison for life. I propose the "firing squad" method of execution for serious and repeat offenders, as it is an extremely cost effective method ($0.30 for each blank cartridge, $0.50 for the live round). It is better for those people to leave this world than to continue murdering and traumatizing innocents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've written multiple papers from both perspectives, and I'm still not sure sure I've made up my mind either way. But I would say I think there is scriptural evidence to support the death penalty for some occasions.

    ReplyDelete