Wednesday, November 25, 2015

MockingJay & Ram Trucks Crossover Commercial: A Positive Review

I discovered this commercial yesterday. It was published on October 31. Here it is for reference.


I'm going to describe my reaction to watching this video, shot by shot. I am not the first to express an opinion about this commercial, but I may be the most extensive.


Line: "There's a place-"

My thoughts: Oh boy! I love watching a commercial for a new movie using old footage! This is already the greatest!





Line: "-where hard work is king. Where people punch in early, and leave late."

My thoughts: My excitement for the Hunger Games was apparently entirely unwarranted, as now, we're watching a car commercial! I guess there was a broadcast error! Either way, look at how impossibly immaculate that truck is! I hope that comes with a guarantee!




Line: "So is it any surprise that when a true hero is born-"

My thoughts: Wow, I understand now! Some beautiful mind must have thought it was a great idea to marry a car commercial to a movie trailer! This is probably the best thing I have ever seen in my entire life!





Line: "-that they come from a place like this. Ram salutes the-"

My thoughts: See, I really don't think this writing is stretching anything at all. District 12 mines coal, and you're comparing coal miners to the District 12 protagonists. Even though Katniss never stepped in a coal mine, I am behind this comparison 100%! It even reminds me of those Values.com motivational billboards. 




It makes a whole heap of sense to compare Nelson Mandela to a plush toy! After all, even though Nelson Mandela pulled an entire nation out of bigotry and ignorance, I am far more inspired by Kermit's success story, especially since that involves eating flies and dating a pig. It's only logical to say Katniss and Gale are from the same place as these coal-mining men, even if the former's entire civilization is only the byproduct of an author's imagination! I can't imagine that ever being insulting to real coal workers!




Line: "-heroes of the Hunger Games-"

My thoughts: I am totally OK with you all saluting these fictional warriors in a fictional war in a fictional country. I am totally behind your decision to not salute actual heroes in your car commercial. *SPOILER ALERT* And even though Gale is actually a huge jerkwad, I think focusing your shots on him and repeatedly emphasizing how heroic and awesome he is is a great idea. *END SPOILER*






Line: "-and all those who clock in daily."

My thoughts: Wow! And here I was thinking the point was to compare fictional coal miners with real coal miners! Now you're including anyone who punches in and punches out? I wouldn't have thought you were really thinking of white-collar workers with that line, but you sure did! Not only that, you made the right call to exclude a huge occupational demographic with that line! After all, as far as I'm aware, most of our armed forces don't work on the clock.



Line: "Watch the finale of the Hunger Games: MockingJay Part 2 November 20."

My thoughts: Why did they even have two and a half new seconds of new footage? The old stuff was just fine.

Following my viewing of this commercial, I could only imagine what sort of geniuses had come together to produce this breathtaking matrimony of modern cinematic and automotive advertising.

HUNGER GAMES EXECUTIVE: So, we don't really want to pay for a full TV spot.

RAM EXECUTIVE: You know what? We don't want to either.

HG EXEC: Wanna go halfsies?

RAM EXEC: Eh, why not?

If only I could have basked in their brilliance at that very moment. Ah, what bliss it might have been.

Oh, was I being sarcastic? Yeah, pretty much since I wrote the word 'review.' See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment