Monday, November 2, 2015

I Got a Haircut!


Once upon a time, I was getting shaggy. I mentioned this to my friends.

"Oh!" one said. "I want to cut your hair!"

"Cool," I said. "That will save me five bucks. Have you ever cut hair before?"

"No." 

"Do you have a kit?"

"No."

I thought about that. 

The 4 for $4 deal at Wendy's called to me.

"All right, let's do this!" I said.

Obligatory before picture.

Obligatory after picture.
So we found a kit, and she got to work. The end result actually turned out pretty well!

I learned several things from the experience. For one thing, there's nothing like a potential total disaster to bring people closer together. We Core Four were all nervous about how things were going to turn out, especially our budding hairdresser herself. The relief that followed our combined anxiety has allowed us to have a rollicking time remembering the experience in the weeks that have followed.

For another thing, I had a blast putting my head into somebody else's hands and waiting to see what happened next. There was something liberating about removing my responsibility for the near future, and I imagine those same feelings could be replicated by doing other things as well. After all, the world is big. I've never tried things like sky falling or BASE jumping or mountain climbing or scuba diving. Why not let an expert show me the ropes?

I think the main point is, we humans are programmed to find risky situations exciting. I found something as simple as getting a haircut from a novice thrilling. Imagine how thrilling life could be if we stepped out of our comfort zone more often.

And you don't even have to do something big to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment