Friday, November 13, 2015

Forward Progress: The Erratic Driving Pattern


My friend and I were driving back from Stake Conference, and everything was great. I was feeling the spirit, things were looking up in general, and then we got behind a car.

That car.


I refused to let the car ruin my feelings of good will, but this thing was erratic, man! It kept slowing down, then speeding up. Slowing down, then speeding up. It acted like it was going to go in the right lane, then ducked over to the same turn line for which we were aiming.

"Buh," I said. "What is up with this car?"

My friend shrugged.

"Well," I said. "I came up with a blog post idea about it. Can I borrow your phone?"

Snap.

The car reminded me of every group project I've ever been in. No matter what happens, someone in my group drags the rest down.

I'll admit, that someone is sometimes me.

Either way, some crucial element to the project's success is placed upon the shoulders of one individual, who promptly proceeds to procrastinate. This procrastination keeps the group from being able to accomplish their own individual tasks, and eventually, everyone is filled with seething resentment directed at the slacker. And yes, that slacker is often me.

So it goes with life. Sometimes, I'm like a weaving car. I may not be fully aware of how my indecision and halting progress affects others. But if I sincerely do my best and put my everything into accomplishing great things, then others will see my light and desire to do their best.

As for me, the same for you. Let your light so shine, my friends. I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment