Friday, October 2, 2015

Stepping Back: Longboarding down the Canyon (Videos)




For whatever reason, this post has been pushed back in my schedule several times, so it's been a while since my family home evening group actually did this. But yes, two Mondays ago, we gathered together, grabbed some longboards, jumped into two cars, and headed on up the canyon road. We left one car at the bottom of the canyon and drove on up to the top. From there, we began our journey.


Beyond my commentary, I found the trip to be more peaceful than anything else. Yes, I had fun, and yes, there were a few moments of sheer panic, but for the most part, there was just something about the activity I found utterly relaxing. 


We didn't need money. We didn't need any phones or other electronic devices. We didn't need to be loud, and we didn't need to be particularly good at long boarding. As we coasted through the valley, admiring the sights, the sounds, and the smells, all indicative of a God up above, I wanted to stay there forever.

I am grateful to my family home evening group for introducing me to this wonderful experience. There are many times a week when I wonder if I'm drowning myself in the fast-paced lane of modern life.  When I have an opportunity to just soak natural beauty in, I feel so much better afterwards.

And yes, I feel that way even when I spend some of that time snapping self-indulgent wind-swept selfies in anticipation for an upcoming blog post. ;)


We don't have to step completely back; just enough to make a difference.

2 comments:

  1. Where's your helmet you mormoron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have one, but you're right. I'll try to set a better example for next time. :)

      Delete