Friday, October 9, 2015

Shine Your Light: Chalk Drawings

1 Thessalonians 3:9 - "For what thanks can we render to God again for you, for all the joy wherewith we joy for your sakes before our God."

A few weeks ago, a good friend and I plastered perfect chalk artwork all over a prime piece of pavement.

I claim no rights to this artwork.
The Olaf and Anna, on the other hand, were entirely my doing.
I also attempted to draw the minion things from Frozen Fever with mixed results.
I also drew the creepiest Mickey in the world.
My friend also drew a Tangled-inspired sun artwork.
We had an absolute blast, even though she totally kicked my butt in terms of quality and patience.

I was touched by an experience we shared with a young little girl, who was heading home with her mother from a youth soccer game. A couple of kids had already passed by and commented on our work, but when this little girl tried to approach us, her mother, not seeing what we were doing, told her to leave us alone.

"No, no, it's OK," we said. "She can see what we're doing."

The mother then realized what her daughter wanted and came over as well. The girl didn't say anything, though she inhaled deeply and smiled brightly at all the colorful characters she obviously recognized. Upon that joy-filled cursory glance, the mother-daughter pair left.

I thought about this for a while. I'll admit, I'm not good at drawing with chalk, or drawing in any other medium, for that matter. However, my pitiful little offering nonetheless brought visible happiness to a little girl. And, for me, that made the experience I had with my friend all the more special and all the more memorable.

Of course, the little girl was probably far more impressed with the sun and Flounder and probably didn't even see my stuff, but I can dream, right?

Love you guys! See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment