Friday, October 16, 2015

Links of Steel: RA Reunion Party


Once upon a time, I was a thing called a Resident Assistant. To some, that meant 'a part-time job.' To others, that meant 'leader of men (or women, as it were).' And to some, that meant 'glorified babysitter.'

Whatever our job description, my fellow RAs and I actually grew super tight over the year or so we worked together. Since our fall, we haven't had as much time to see each other. So, when Facebook allowed several of us to voice our desire for a reunion, a lot of us jumped in on the planning and hosting and catering and all that jazz.


We ate waffles and caught up with each other and ate waffles and played werewolf and ate waffles and just had an absolute blast. The experience made me wish we could have reunions more often, especially since some people couldn't make it.

I've moved a lot in my life. I remember when my family moved from Michigan. There was no doubt that we needed to go, but we didn't want to leave all of our friends, who'd become like a family, behind. My siblings and I doubted we would again find a people who we'd grow to cherish so deeply. But then, after a few years in North Carolina, we'd made fresh friends with many of the wonderful people living there. These new friendships didn't diminish or replace the friendships we'd left behind. Instead, they helped us grow stronger.

I wouldn't be who I am today without the bonds I forged with individuals in both Michigan and North Carolina. It's been over four years since I've been back to either of those my former homes, yet I'm still in touch with people there.

Moving on is hard, even if it's just from a workplace environment, even if I'm going to end up living in the same town as my friends and family, anyway. Despite this, I've come to learn that neither time nor distance diminishes the love and appreciation I have for the people in my life, no matter where they are now.

From Michigan to Helaman Halls and even Canyon Terrace, I thank you for being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment