Wednesday, October 28, 2015

I Sold My Smart Phone and Laptop?!?


My phone had three notifications from Twitter, thirty-seven new unread emails, and a couple of bloops from Facebook. My YouTube and Chrome apps were literally right next to each other, meaning that I could watch a video or read an article whenever I had more than five seconds of downtime. Netflix and Amazon beckoned me from my laptop, encouraging me to leave my priorities behind.

I was tired of it.

So I sold my laptop, deactivated my smart phone, and got some new toys instead.


I've been operating without my own operating system for several weeks now. If I want to listen to music, I use my mp3 player to listen to music (Remember the post from yesterday? Now you know why I started buying my own music. Be sure to let me know via the poll if you buy music). I keep my calendar in a paper planner. I use my 'dumb' phone strictly to text and answer calls. I do all my writing from my personal electronic typewriter.

And life has been great because of it.

When I find myself with downtime, I don't just mindlessly flip through social media. Instead, I read a book, or pursue other endeavors. When I do use a computer, it's at the library, where the environment itself demands I stay at least somewhat focused. I can check social media infrequently, making sure it doesn't consume my time.

I'm not saying this is the new best thing for everyone. But I do firmly believe that this has helped me find myself again. Without being constantly shackled to media, I am free to be me.

Be sure to let me know if you give this lifestyle a chance in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment