Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Where Credit is Due: I HATE SOCIAL MEDIA



I. Hate. Social. Media.

The beginning of this blog marked the end of a two year fast. During that time, I didn't send text messages, I didn't send tweets, I didn't check my Facebook, and everything collected internet dust. 

Upon the conclusion of my fast, the first thing I did was go out and buy a smart phone, the first I'd ever owned. I was immediately bombarded by constant communication from all of the friends with whom I'd lost contact, and I relished every moment of it.

Then, I learned something about myself. I couldn't keep up. I soon wearied of constantly being plugged in. I struggled to maintain relationships with individuals right in front of me because I kept having to see what other people were up to. I felt overwhelmed by how much stuff happens in everyone's lives, so much so that I had a hard time keeping track of my own life.

It was for this reason that I have avoided most forms of social media up until this past week. Even now that I've plugged in to several major media outlets, I still feel overwhelmed by everything that is out there.

Even beyond that, I think the biggest struggle for me is that I feel somewhat arrogant whenever I send a tweet or snap a selfie. All I'm really doing is proclaiming to the world, "Look at me! Look at what I'm doing! Aren't I interesting? Aren't I relevant?" I am at the center of everything I post, and even when I'm trying to use this very blog to uplift and encourage, I'm taking experiences from my life and trying to pass it off as super important for everyone else.

This is a struggle for me because I firmly believe God deserves all the credit for my accomplishments. The talents, gifts, and skills I have all belong to Him, and He can grant more or take the few away as He pleaseth. I worry sometimes that, when I upload anything, I'm just going to focus on me and forget Him.

What do you think? Do you have the same struggle, or am I crazy? Be sure to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment