Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Thinkjoust Tuesday #14 - Books vs. Movies

Last week's results: Apple vs. PC

PC: 63%
Apple: 27%
Linux: 10%

I'm actually really surprised by this one. I assumed Apple would have a larger presence. Maybe I'll have to ask about phones next time ...


In my mind, most people either choose to watch movies, or read books. They have a hard time balancing both, for some reason. I know I do.

I rarely, if ever, sit down by myself to watch a movie, but I'll certainly spend many a happy hour consuming some ebook off my phone. Of course, in this our age, books and movies aren't the only narrative media options we have. I actually created a spectrum to show my own understanding of these various options, and the magnitude of my own interests in each one.

First, obviously, is the book. With no accompanying visual element, book-reading seems to be losing a lot of popularity. For me, I usually read stuff like Terry Pratchet's Discworld or Brandon Sanderson's Legion.

Second is the comic. Whether it's a graphic novel, web comic, newspaper comic, or something else altogether, this form of reading has accompanying visual elements. I absolutely love comics, myself, but the medium has been struggling heavily when you consider the next few options. I usually read comics like Bravest Warriors or Dr. McNinja.

Third is what I call the 'short film.' These include YouTube videos, vines, or really anything not normally syndicated through regular means. I generally try to keep up with Good Mythical Morning every ... well, morning, as well as with Studio C's channel.

Fourth is the TV show. Shorter than a movie, longer than a web series, syndicated and marketed as all heck, I find I generally like the serial format of TV shows much better than I do movies. My top three shows are Doctor Who, The Walking Dead, and, somewhat embarrassingly so, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Fifth is the movie, surprise surprise. I really don't watch many movies. My post about Anne of Green Gables probably marked the first movie I'd seen since Avengers: Age of Ultron, and I think I hadn't seen a movie in six months before that one came out.

Anyway, which one is your favorite? Did I miss an important medium through which one can tell stories? Be sure to comment below and vote in the poll to your right!

No comments:

Post a Comment