Friday, August 7, 2015

Daily Adventure: Tim Tam Slam (Video)



Once upon a time, I had a friend who offered to feed me for dinner.

"It was last Sunday," he said.

True! But, technically, that was still a time. That was onced upon.

"That doesn't really make any ..."

Fine! I'll be normal about it!

Last Sunday, I went over to my friends' house for dinner. Whereas I served a mission in Jamaica, he served a mission in Malaysia, and he actually learned how to cook their food! (I still wish I'd learned how to make Jamaican curry. Mmmmm ... curry.) 

As it was, the meal was Malaysian ... well, mostly. The vegetables apparently weren't, and a few minor details were altered, but I didn't know the difference, and I thought it was absolutely delicious either way, so hey! 

The chef at his handsomest.

I also had the opportunity to participate in an old Malaysian mission tradition - the legendary Tim Tam slam.

To keep it simple, a Tim Tam is like a chocolate-coated wafer. A slam occurs when you suck incredibly hot chocolate through the wafer like a straw. The wafer quickly becomes soggy, so the game is to tilt your head back right before it disintegrates and swallow. If you fail ... well, shame for life, man.

Thankfully, my chef friend took a video of my attempt at this.


So ... shame for life, man.

Either way, the opportunity to experience at least a glimpse of another culture and have a fun failure was an experience I won't forget. I am always grateful when someone gives me the chance to do something like hat, and I can't wait until the next chance.

What cool new thing will you experience this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment