Monday, August 24, 2015

By The Hand: Fresh Employment


As most of my diligent readers know, I am seriously considering graduating by the end of this next school year, a full year earlier than was originally planned. Of course, before I fully commit to such a course of action, I want to make sure I know what I'm studying for grad school. 

Righ now, I'm gunning for a Masters in Library Science, but I know a lot less about the discipline than I'd like. So, this past summer, I've been applying for various jobs at the library on campus. Beyond my semi-tentative acceptance into the LS internship program, I hadn't heard back from anyone, and was beginning to feel just a little discouraged. Maybe I'm on the wrong track altogether, I mused.

Then, someone emailed me back in response to my application. 

After I sent back a few examples of my writing skill and style, we set up an appointment for an interview.


While it may seem somewhat generalizing to say, literally the only reason I got my first job back in high school was because I wore a suit to pick up the application and when I went the interview. Ever since then, I've continued to take my father's advice. Dressed up in suit and power tie, I showed up for the interview, presented myself as best as I could, then left with high hopes.

One downer was that interviewers told me that I was only their first applicant. "We really like you, but ..." 

Sure enough, I received a call later on in the week from the big boss himself.  "I just wanted to let you know that we've decided to give the job to someone else," he said. "You were really great, really qualified, but we just think he's a better fit for what we're looking."

I sighed inwardly. Well, I'm glad he's at least letting me know I didn't get the job.

"The thing is," the boss went on, "You really impressed us. Out of over twenty applicants, and you two really stood out."

I smiled to myself. I'd heard stuff like this before. He's going to tell me that I shouldn't be discouraged, that I have a bright future ahead of me and all that. Still tremendously kind of him, but I just wanted a job.

"So, you mentioned you'd applied for the LS internship," the boss continued. "I actually helped to establish that program, and I was wondering if you'd like to work for me within that program?"

I blinked.

"Really?"

After praying about it, I got back in touch with him and accepted the offer.

So, today is the day I begin my employment, right here at the library. I actually wrote this entire post a few paces away from the primary office for which I'll be working! 

For me, the experience went to show that, sometimes, God just wants you in a specific place. I feel very strongly that, though I struggled in finding new employment, every setback was a nudge toward this opportunity. I don't know what I have yet to learn or accomplish, but whatever it is, it will be for my benefit.

So where are you being guided?

No comments:

Post a Comment