Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Ignorance and Understanding at a Deaf Christmas Party

Luke 6:27 - "But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you ..."

A couple of years ago, I didn't know anything about Deaf people.

I didn't know their language. I didn't know of their rich creative culture, including in their storytelling, art, and even music. I didn't know their struggles. I didn't know their pains. I didn't know how oppressed they feel.


I didn't know how to approach a Deaf person on the street. I didn't know the best way to speak to them. I didn't know the social faux pas I might accidentally commit.

I didn't know their culture. I didn't know they hold events and parties, form gatherings and groups away from hearing society. I didn't know how they did simple things. How do they know when someone has rung their doorbell? What sort of jobs are people willing to give them? What struggles occur between hearing parents of Deaf children, and Deaf parents of hearing children?

A whole world I knew nothing about.

Now, two years later, I know so much more about Deaf culture and the wonderful, colorful people found within. My increased knowledge and understanding of the group was made manifest when my friend and I attended a Deaf Christmas party.


Because I've been studying ASL and Deaf culture, I was able to speak with people and understand them. I was able to appreciate the beauty of their language and their cultural norms. There was one point when lights started flashing on the gymnasium walls, and I remembered that meant someone wanted to make an announcement. Yelling or clapping for everyone's attention doesn't cut it.

There I stood, in the midst of a culture I was only recently ignorant of, an entire world existing around me of which I was unaware.

This only made me realize how ignorant I am of other cultures.

How much do you know about Deaf people? I doubt you'll really understand much until you get on their level.

How much do you know about other cultures?

No comments:

Post a Comment