Monday, December 14, 2015

Budget vs. Charity

Proverbs 25:21 - "If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink ..."

One of my friends was holding a birthday party at a roadhouse. I wanted to go! After all, who doesn't like good company and ambiance, amiright?

The problem was, I wasn't going for the food. You see, I didn't feel like I could afford it.

See, I'd recently gotten a ticket (click here to read that story), and I was looking to buy Christmas presents, and I just don't budget well sometimes. When I'm considering things like that, I balk at spending ten dollars on a meal when a thirty cent thing of ramen goes just as far. I do love ritzier restaurants, especially roadhouses, but I was feeling thrifty that day.

So, when I arrived, I'd already decided that I was only going to buy a soft drink with free refills. I was relieved when I found out the restaurant offered complimentary peanuts as well. Feeling armed, I sipped and crunched and sipped and crunched all the way through dinner. I didn't have to go all fancy with my order. And I had a blast. The party was fun, and I appreciated spending time with the people I love, as always.


But that was the other cool thing.

You see, when my friends realized I hadn't ordered anything, they waited until they were full, and then started offering me their leftovers. I was already pretty stuffed on peanuts and soda as it was, but their acts of kindness touched me, truly. After all, they were basically throwing leftover dollars at me, food they could have saved for their own flagging budgets.

I'd love to be an author with millions of dollars, but I don't want wealth to improve my own style of living. I want wealth to help ease the burdens of those around me. After all, I've seen my own burdens eased time and time again, even in a roadhouse on someone's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment