Monday, May 11, 2015

Thinkjoust: Sleep or Midnight? The Sabbath Debate

Colossians 2;16 - "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days..."

This post is going to depart from my usual pattern, but if I like it enough, I might keep it on as a feature.

We Christians believe that God recommends certain courses of actions to His children to aid in our overall lifelong happiness. We call these, collectively, 'commandments.' Some of these commandments are more clear-cut than others, like the commandment not to kill people. Others, like keeping the Sabbath day holy, are left a little more up to the individual.

Considering Sunday activities, I have met individuals who watch TV, and I have met individuals who keep it completely unplugged. I have met people who like going to the park as a family, and people who refuse to leave the house. I have met families who will play games together, and families who will politely refuse. In the end, none of these individuals are wrong. They have done nothing more than present their own interpretation based on their individual understanding.

Obviously, each of us should pray to the Father and find out what He wants, at least for us. As it is, with everyone so doing and coming up with different answers, it's difficult to determine what His final say is.

Either way, though, I wanted to present a question I had about the Sabbath day, something I've pondered ever since I got back home from my mission. I know things will be pretty divided over this, but I also know there's no right answer, either. I'm just curious about what you guys are thinking. The question is this:

WHEN DOES YOUR SABBATH START SLASH END?

There are two camps, as far as I've observed. The first camp says that Sunday is midnight to midnight, no questions asked. The second camp says that Sunday is bedtime to bedtime, which is the usual choice for those of us who usually stay up past midnight, anyway.

So what do you think? Be sure to post in the comments below! Let's get this thinkjoust ROCKING!

I, for one, went with the midnight to midnight approach last night. Gotta love dem four double jalapeno burgers. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment