Friday, May 15, 2015

Lost Sheep: Dog Run


It was only yesterday that I found myself running through an unfamiliar landscape after an unfamiliar animal. 

I harbored no particular love for the animal. I held no particular responsibility for its recent escape. I was certainly in worse shape than it was. My ragged breaths sounded like the wheezes of a dying muskrat. I felt prompted to fall back and try a different strategy.

But, it was my brother's new dog of only two hours. And I was the only one who had a line of sight.

The worst part was, I knew the dog was trolling. He would stop to look or sniff at something. I would slow down and walk carefully to him. I would reach out to grab his collar and, inevitably, would touch his neck. Off the dog would bolt, tongue lolling, panting happily, eager to resume the game.

Sometimes I wish I cursed. It would have felt marvelous at that moment.

Thankfully, the dog tired of the game fairly quickly, and my brother was able to use his animal husbandry skill points to successfully reign the beast in. I was grateful I'd taught him how to play roleplaying games.


All in all, I'm glad the dog was rescued, but I think I'm solidly in the 'cat person' camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment