Friday, May 22, 2015

Competing: Publication Push (Part 1/2)


Last Tuesday night, I finished my final draft of my NaNoWriMo novel, working title Ama's Watch. I've been fixing and tweaking it on and off since November, and I've finally gotten it as near-perfect as I can. 

Three emails hit the inboxes of three different literary agencies late Wednesday night, all with the subject line of 'QUERY.'

Since then, two more emails have hit two different inboxes with more or less the same subject line.

It's time for me to seriously push for publication for the first time in three years.


My current goal is to send a query out at least once a day, sans Sunday, until I feel like I have completely exhausted all my options. At that point, I will wait about four months after I have sent out my last submission. If I haven't heard from anyone at that point, then I'm going to self-publish via Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing.

I personally believe self-publishing is an inferior method to working through a publisher for a variety of reasons. These include a lower ability to market and drastically reduced distribution, among others. However, I made the decision about April of last year to pursue self-publishing regardless of my own opinions about its effectiveness.

Let me tell you why.

Tomorrow.

To be continued ...

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'm glad you're pushing toward publishing again. As an editor and avid supporter of all things reminiscent of Terry Pratchett, I wish you luck. Also, does this novel happen to be a more finalized version of the novel you had written back in Freshman year? Or is it new entirely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, good question! My pre-mission novel is currently on indefinite hold, namely because I want to freshen my mind to that world before I try again with a more streamlined style and plot. This novel is something completely different!

      Delete
    2. Very cool, very cool! Well good luck. I enjoyed reading this two-part post.

      Delete