Saturday, May 7, 2016

Why You Should Challenge Your Beliefs - Response Saturday #15


This past Tuesday, I asked the question, 'Should You Question Your Beliefs?"

There weren't as many comments to sort through this week, but the few who commented were fairly unanimous. We should challenge our beliefs. One commentator pointed out that 'challenging belief' is really just seeking truth, wherever and however you may find it.

However, when it comes down to it, the post is called Why one should challenge their beliefs. Let me explain the way I see it.

Some buildings grow old and decrepit after many years of use. However, if architects and construction crews alter the structure to modern standards, the building can be reused for a new and unique purpose, if not the original purpose.

When you exercise, you're trying to get stronger. The effort can actually tear your muscles (on a microscopic level, sure, but hey), but it is the resulting healing process that actually lends you new strength.

Funnily enough, some of my most memorable friendships came to be because I initially accounted them among my rivals and enemies.

My point is, weakness always precedes strength. If you take pains to challenge your own beliefs, you may feel uncertain for a time, but then you are able to be more confident in the truths you have discovered.

I know my beliefs were challenged several times while I served my mission in Arizona and Jamaica. I wondered many times if I was doing the right thing. But after every crisis of faith, I studied and thought about things and came away with a better understanding of not just what I believe in, but also who I am as a person.

And that is more valuable to me than anything.

So don't be afraid to question yourself. If you come away with a different understanding of the world, well, that just means you're progressing and improving.

Good luck on your journey.

This Week's Top Comments



No comments:

Post a Comment